“I take great satisfaction in delivering exceptional value to my business clients, whether I am handling a litigation matter or a business issue. To me, that means not only providing excellent work product at a fair price, but genuinely caring about the clients’ needs and well being. Today’s business environment is incredibly challenging and stressful. I like my clients to feel that once they involve me in a matter, they no longer need to worry about it.”
-Michael C. Gibbons
Mike has been admitted to practice law in Michigan for over 25 years with a focus on business and commercial law and litigation. While a substantial part of his practice relates to the automotive industry, Mike has a diverse client base that includes nonprofits; closely and privately held businesses; and publicly traded corporations in the manufacturing, distribution, finance, service and retail sectors. He regularly counsels clients on a wide range of business matters, including business formation and succession planning, corporate governance, buy-sell agreements and minority protections, complex transactions, employment matters, and buying and selling businesses. Mike is also a part of the legal team that represents the City of Birmingham.
Mike also has extensive experience representing businesses (and their owners) in litigating complex business and commercial disputes. Those matters include purchasing and supply disputes, business break- ups and shareholder/member litigation, trade secret and noncompete litigation, debtor/creditor disputes, and employment litigation. Mike litigates in federal and state courts, both at the trial and appellate court levels, and in arbitration proceedings. His litigation experience is invaluable in helping clients minimize any litigation exposure, if not avoid it altogether.
Mike speaks frequently at seminars and programs concerning various aspects of business and commercial law and litigation, and he has authored and published numerous articles and materials on those topics.
Mike is a graduate of the Detroit College of Law/Michigan State University College of Law), and received his Bachelor degree in economics from the University of Michigan.
- Detroit College of Law, J.D., 1994
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1989
Admitted to Practice
- Michigan, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
- Business and Commercial Law
- School and Municipal Law
- Beier Howlett, Chief Executive Officer, 2021-Present
- Named to Best Lawyers in America 2023
- Named “Go To Lawyer” for Business Law by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- dbusiness Top Lawyer, 2014
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section/State Bar of Michigan
- Employment Law Section/State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan Council of School Attorneys
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers
- Mike Gibbons Named “Go To Lawyer” in Business Law
- Overview of the FMLA and Suggestions for Preventing Employee Abuse
- Beier Howlett Announces New Management Team
- Win the Battle of the Forms and Have Your Contract Terms Prevail
- Five Reasons to Play by the Corporate Rules
- Matt’s Safe School Law
- Social Media Policy